|Creator:||Lower Valley Women's Club|
|Title:||Lower Valley Women's Club Papers|
|Quantity:||4 box(es) (2.08 linear feet)|
|Collection ID:||MSS. Lower Valley Women's Club|
|Repository:||Leland D. Case Library of Western Historical Studies
E.Y. Berry Library-Learning Center
Black Hills State University
Spearfish, SD 57799
The Lower Valley Women´s Club was first organized in 1925 and closely tied to the Community Hub and Community Hall. These organizations were almost synonymous and worked in concert with each other on many projects, depending upon one another for financial and moral support. The Lower Valley Women´s Club provided funds for the purchase of edible treats for the annual appearance of Santa Clause. The organization was the second oldest extension club in Lawrence County. Ten of its original members (Mrs. Burleson, Mrs. Carlson, Mrs. Crago, Mrs. Dandrow, and Mrs. Evans, Mrs. Heiserman, Mrs. Henwood, Mrs. Herber, Mrs. McGuigan, and Mrs. McLaughlin) were still existing members on the 60th Anniversary of the club, in 1985. The club frequently depleted its Treasury and occasionally requested additional donations from its members to supplement the 25 cent dues and 50 cent dues already paid by social members. As time went on, dues were incrementally raised to $3.
The Lower Valley Women´s Club also engaged in a variety of fundraising projects to increase the Treasury´s purse, including the sale of candy, greeting cards, raffle tickets, food, and a traveling food basket. The club used the funds, in part, to donate to the Lawrence County 4-H Leaders Association and the Spearfish Ambulance Fund and other organizations such as Easter Seals, March of Dimes, and the Red Cross, among others.
Members of the Lower Valley Women´s Club also engaged in volunteer activities and community involvement. They corresponded with deployed troops during World War II, mailed a box to Korea, participated in the “Tour of Homes,” Swarm Days Parade, the annual Farm Picnic, and the Home Talent Plays. The club has been a source of support and friendship for all of its members and their families, as well as the community as a whole.
Secretary's Record Book, Minute Book, Scrapbook.
Materials in Box 4 received in June 2007.
Lower Valley Women's Club Papers, Leland D. Case Western Historical Studies
Dora Jones; Beshka Ringstad (2007)
Secretary's Record Books 1949-1985 [27 books], Minute Books 1948-1975 [4 books], scrapbook 1954-1983 [1 book].
|1||1||Secretary´s Record Books 1945-56|
|2||Secretary´s Record Books 1956-62|
|3||Secretary´s Record Books 1964-69|
|4||Secretary´s Record Books 1970-77|
|5||Secretary´s Record Books 1982-85|
|2||1||Secretary´s Record Books 1982-85|
|2||Secretary´s Record Books 4/1951-7/1958|
|3||Secretary´s Record Books 9/1958-6/1973|
|4||Secretary´s Record Books 1974-75|
|3||1||Scrapbook Materials and 60th Anniversary envelope c. 1982-1985|
|4||1||3 cassette tapes in Ziploc bag, labeled “Cora May Bridges: 60 Years of Lower Valley Women´s Club” n.d.|
|2||Home Demonstration Club Program booklet 1965|
|3||Cash book for Lower Valley Women´s Club 1973-74|
|4||Floral photo album c. 1975-1976|
|5||Blue photo album / scrapbook 1983-97|
|6||Photo album / scrapbook w/ picture of a deer on the cover 1984-88|
|7||Green binder, inside: “Extension Homemakers Club” Secretary´s Record Book c. 1988-1989|
|8||“Continuing Education Community Service: SDSU” Folder, inside: Miscellaneous scrapbook items c. 1989-1990|
|9||Envelope of photos, labeled “Extention [sic] Photos” and “Extra Pictures – 1993” 1993|
|10||Blue Folder, inside: miscellaneous club meeting information 1996|
|11||Black Binder, inside: scrapbook items 1998-99|
|12||Trustee Development Manual binder, inside: “South Dakota Association for Family and Community Education” Secretary´s Record Book 2000-|